The Academy prepares top-level military personnel from Germany and abroad for demanding tasks in the armed forces, in national ministries, in NATO, in the European Union and in the United Nations.
Their visit was jointly organized by WFP’s Executive Board Secretariat together with the Permanent Representation of the Federal Republic of Germany to the UN Organizations in Rome, following the success of a similar event in February 2018.
Ms Isabell Ladiges, Second Secretary and Alternate Permanent Representative, accompanied the 14 participants from Croatia, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Latvia and the United States of America.
After a guided tour through the key ground floor areas, the group learned about
- the organization and its governance,
- supply chain and logistics,
- the humanitarian cluster system,
- coordination of civilian and military actors,
- early warning systems,
- the emergency and telecommunications cluster,
- the WFP emergency programming framework,
- and partnerships with the private sector which supports the emergency logistics team.
A multitude of in-depth questions resulted in interesting discussions and conveyed keen interest of the participants, providing a good basis for future reiterations.